Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Miscellaneous Bits of This and That

First things first:
Congratulations to the Queen of Carrots and her family on a new baby boy!

Here's a link to a blog (Carmon, at Buried Treasure Books) I read today on libraries that I thought was very good. She talks about censorship and discernment in choosing reading materials. She is of the opinion that libraries are one area (of many) that should not be under government control. I have to admit, I have a sympathy with that viewpoint, even though we use our public library frequently. I didn't write to or call my congressman when the library asked us to contact them to raise public libraries' funding for that reason.

We just became charter members of the Creation Museum being built just south of Cincinnati. We'd been considering doing so for quite a while, but finally "took the plunge". Can't wait until it opens!

What we have watched over and over again for the last week: Underdog (a video we found for one or two dollars at some dollar store last week). Our 6-year-old always picks this when it is his turn. Our kids don't have a clue about what cartoons other kids watch nowadays (neither do I!), but they do know more than enough about several cartoons from the 50's-70's.

In the kitchen: I've started using a new bread recipe that I can mix up at night before bed, keep in the fridge overnight, and then bake in the morning. It sure smells good while it's baking! It's also almost applesauce time. I hope to make A LOT this fall. I still need to do a trial run with just a few apples in my new food mill to see if it is easier than peeling and coring the apples first. That reminds me, I'd better check to make sure I have enough jars...

We've been doing a lot of "fun stuff for kids" the last two weeks while my husband has been off work on vacation. This week we went to a great park, and also our favorite children's museum. We've also eaten out several times. Our new eat-out discovery: The Original Pancake House. Boy, was that a great breakfast! The pancake syrups were NOT sugar-free, but you could tell they were homemade with fresh fruit (they had blueberry, strawberry, orange, and also maple and cinnamon). YUM.

And last but not least, we have big family news. As in, next spring we'll be a bigger family. Baby number four is on the way. We are very excited, and I have already demanded that my husband buy me a new diaper genie. The one we have has been in constant (and I mean CONSTANT) use for 6-1/2 years. Yuck. My hope is that our youngest will be potty-trained before the baby comes so I might have a few months of no-diaper-changing bliss. That might be asking too much. :-)

Sorry for the long blogs, but I'm still having trouble signing in with blogger, so I have to go for it when I get the chance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your bread recipe a saok with buttermilk/yogurt type? Where is it from? You can tell me tomorrow....

10:06 PM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Congratulations to you!

And I'd love to get your bread recipe (and try it out once I'm back to baking again.)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

Thank you!

The bread recipe isn't one of the better-for-you-soak-in-cultured -milk types. It's the refrigerator wheat bread recipe from the book "Recipes from the Old Mill".

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home