Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Updates on Us

Well, I haven't blogged much lately - my husband has been off work and we have been in and out, here and there for the past week. We've had lots of fun, and done some more organizing. There's hope for that "walk-in" pantry yet! :-)

Here's a really cool store for people who like doing things the old-fashioned way. We bought a few things there this week. Among them: a food mill. I thought I'd try using one to make my applesauce this year. Before I always used my food processor (very small). I'll do a trial-run ahead of time to see if the mill will be better or worse.

We now have 21 chicks under a heat-lamp in the garage. We did have 22 (5 pullets), but wouldn't you know it, one of the pullets didn't make it. That's 5 less eggs a week we'll be getting next spring and summer. Wah. It wasn't able to stand up from the moment we got it. There seemed to be something wrong with its legs.

My husband did our first butchering today. We said goodbye to the rooster that was supposed to be a hen (we bought 4 "pullets" last March, but one was not a pullet). He did a good job, and now the bird is in the crockpot. Not much fat on that rooster, let me tell you.

We're starting first grade tomorrow. I'm ready for school to start, but naturally, I don't feel like I got everything done that I wanted to ahead of time. There's nothing like a LITTLE organization to help you realize how unorganized you really are.

Did I mention the kittens? We also have two kittens in the back yard now. The boys love playing with them, and I'm sure those kittens enjoy going down the slide just as much as the boys do. haha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home