Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Coconut Oil Review

Here are some brands of coconut oil we have tried, and what we think of each:
LouAnn - cheap oil from Wal-Mart. Definitely cheap. We don't buy it any more.
Spectrum Naturals (expeller pressed organic coconut oil, from Krogers) - this is cheaper than the really good stuff, but still of ok quality to cook with, which is what we do.
Tropical Traditions (ordered through Dr. Mercola's on-line store) - Dr. Mercola's choice, but I'm not as crazy about it. To me it seems to have a bit of a waxy taste. Very high quality.
Nutiva (health food store) - My husband's favorite. My second favorite. I think it has a smoky flavor. Also very high quality.
Garden of Life (health food store) - From Jordan Rubin's company (of The Maker's Diet fame). This is my absolute favorite. I could eat it right out of the jar. THE BEST, in my opinion.

One of the books I read (most of) on vacation is called The Coconut Diet, by Cherie Calbom. It has a lot of very helpful information in it on coconut oil, including an explanation of the flawed information previously used to show that coconut oil was not good for you. We have found that it has lowered our cholesterol and blood pressure, helped us to lose weight, increased our metabolism, and it has also improved my complexion (I think). It's a very tasty way to get away from using the vegetable oils (corn, soy, canola, etc.).

In summary, WE LOVE COCONUT OIL! :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I just made coconut oil french fries this week, and DOB and D1 LOVED them. (I guess I have a typical kid after all, she likes french fries better than vegetables--but at least they're healthy fries.) I haven't tried buying any yet, though, my mother-in-law just gives me the extra when she buys it. So I appreciate the reviews. Finally, a health food product that tastes better than the alternatives. :-)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

We like french fries fried in coconut oil too. But it is not cheap! They do taste great, though!

11:56 AM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I make them in the oven, so it only takes a tablespoon or two of oil. I used to do it with canola. Deep-fried is really good--my family did that one year as a treat for New Year's. And then doughnuts. Mmmmm.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home