Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

My New Secret (Homemaker's) Weapon

I guess it's not so secret now. It's my kitchen timer. (What were you expecting, something explosive?) Now that I'm using my timer every day, I get more done. For example, this morning I did not feel like doing anything. Without my timer I would have DONE NOTHING today (hopefully I would have at least fed my kids). But with my timer, I promised myself 30 minutes of free time IF I worked for 30 minutes first. Then I just alternated 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off all the way up until quiet time. Even in my 30 minutes off, I tried to do something constructive, that was still enjoyable to me, such as: reading to my kids, tickling my kids, playing with my kids,and changing dirty diapers (well, almost all enjoyable...what kind of a nut would let their children play in a dirty diaper for 30 minutes until the timer went off?). With this schedule, I was able to keep the kitchen clean (no small task), do 2 loads of laundry, put the clean laundry away, and do some (admittedly only a little) decluttering. All on a day I normally would have done nothing.

Why does this work for me? I've been trying to figure it out. I have come to the conclusion that somehow, the timer stirs up some kind of raw, beat-'em-up, competitive spirit in me (stop laughing). I HAVE to get done as much as I can before that timer goes off. Now I'll let you in on another secret: I hate to lose. I so much prefer winning.

Think of my poor dad. Right now, he's probably oblivious to the fact that with vacation coming up soon, it's possible we'll be having a "friendly" putt-putt golf game together. He's not even thinking about whether or not he'll beat me at putt-putt golf. But I'M thinking about it...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have got to use my timer more....for some reason I thought that just looking at the clock for that 15 min block would be sufficient, but no.......I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Bill's Blog said...

Sounds like a challenge to me, Miss "I'm A Great Putt-Putt Golfer". Daughter #3 has challenged Dad to a game of tether ball when I take her to camp tomorrow morning. Bring it on!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home