Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, August 19, 2005

A Peachy Day

It's peach day. Again. This time I have 25 lbs. of peaches to use. Before I only had two peach days of 15 lbs. each (jam, and then pie filling). Today I'm canning them. I was only going to get 17 lbs., but the kind young lady at the produce stand told me I would pay a dollar more to get 17 lbs. than it would cost me to get 25 lbs. Go figure.

I've never canned peaches before. But I thought I'd give it a try. I spent last winter wishing I had done more canning and freezing the previous summer, so here I am, spending half of the the summer in the kitchen. My great hope is THAT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. Meanwhile, my kids get to run wild and watch more tv than usual, as long as they don't come into the kitchen.

Every big project I have done this summer I have injured myself in some way. I don't know if I'm clumsy, careless, or if these kind of jobs are just plain risky. Last time I burned my forearm. Today I sliced my finger along with the peaches (not sure where that piece of skin went...JUST KIDDING!). Fortunately, it didn't mess up the peaches, but I did have to take a band-aid break.

Ah, summer. Despite my heat intolerance, I'm kind of sad that it's starting to wind down.

1 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

It's the job. At least I always remember everybody having burns and nicks to show after a day of canning. I'm looking forward to the summer I can get to canning, but while my kitchen is being redone is definitely not a good time.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home