Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

A Real Jam

Sorry about the title. HARRRR

So here's the scoop on my jam-making adventure:
-Had the jars, (most)lids, and rims cleaned and ready by 10 am, and pans in place
-Picked up 16 quarts of strawberries shortly after 10 am
-Got started about 10:30
-After removing underripe berries, only 14 quarts were actually "jammed"
-My grandma was here and helped tremendously by staying with the kids as I picked up the strawberries, washing the strawberries, removing the hulls, and stirring the jam mixture (had to be stirred constantly as it boiled) so that I could help my 2-year-old daughter after she vomited (twice)
-The worst of the mind-numbing activity was over by 3 pm
-Didn't even attempt the dishes until 6 pm
-Pizza and subs from the local pizza place for dinner around 7:45

And the grand total: 37 half-pints

The jam turned out good, but it does have a slight tart taste to it. My husband says he likes it best that way, and he's not just trying to make me feel better. He really does like it that way. I do wish it were a little sweeter, though. But it's not really my fault - the berries were more tart than usual for some reason. It's still very good, however, and no doubt we will eat it ALL. And thankfully my Beanie Jeanie (daughter's nickname) started feeling better around 4 or 5 this afternoon (her vocabulary word du jour: "vomit" - how nice).

Today I proved once and for all THAT I REALLY CAN DO AT LEAST 5 THINGS AT THE SAME TIME. My grandma will vouch for me on that one. :-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire your productivity, I think I would have stopped once the first "spitting up" (our family word for vomit) occurred!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home