Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Microwave Clarification

My husband pointed out to me that I should probably clarify our recent decision to not use our microwave anymore. So...LET ME CLARIFY THIS. The reason we decided to do this is because of the way microwaves change the molecular structure of the food you are heating up. You've probably heard the warning that you should not heat up a baby's milk in the microwave because it heats unevenly so there could be hotspots you can't detect when you test the milk on your wrist. Included in that warning is the information that doing so can also damage the nutritional content of the milk. The same is true for any food. From what I understand, eating food that was heated in a microwave causes changes in the chemical properties of blood, some of which are suspected of causing cancer and immune system depression, among other things.

So our decision to get rid of the microwave has more to do with healthful eating than it does radiation, although that should be a consideration also. There, you see? We're not nearly so strange as you thought we were. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I'm glad to get your health synopses. We don't have a microwave either, and DOB made me stop using the one at work even before we got married, but I've never bothered to investigate why. Reading health stuff is not my favorite thing to do. So now I know why we don't do it, too! :-)

I didn't really miss it until I had little baby meals to heat up. I burn them a lot in my saucepan. Hopefully she'll be able to add a few more things in her diet and eat what we eat soon.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

Yes, it can be tricky to heat up little things like baby food. We started using our toaster oven to do little jobs like that, and hope to buy a much nicer toaster oven to replace both the microwave AND the ancient falling-apart toaster oven. It takes a little longer than a microwave, but I think it will be worth it in the long run as it benefits (or rather, isn't detrimental to) our health.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home