Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Strawberry Round-Up

Yes, it's that time of the year again. Time for the great Strawberry Round-up. I buy my strawberries from an Amish family down the road, and they are reserving sixteen quarts for me to "jam" tomorrow. Please don't laugh. Sixteen quarts is A LOT of strawberries. It is my hope that it will make enough jam for the year since it is our favorite. Last year I made strawberry jam but it did not gel. But it made a great topping for pancakes! Fortunately it wasn't a big batch. Later in the summer I made peach jam and it turned out great, so I feel confident going into my first REALLY BIG experience in jam-making. This will be eight batches. My grandma is coming over for the festivities.

I don't use sugar in my jams (I guess you probably figured that). But I do sweeten it a little with frozen concentrated white grape juice, and that seems to work just fine. But you have to use the special pectin especially made for sugar-free jams and jellies. Trust me on that one. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Do you use Pomona's Universal Pectin? If so, where did you get it? Someone gave me some for a wedding gift and I LOVE it. (I do use sugar, but hardly any compared to what the standard pectin calls for.) But I don't know where to get more, and I'm going to run out soon.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now I have an idea about how many strawberries to get....I'll wait till yours is done and see how the big batch turns out!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

Hi QOC!
I have heard of that Pomona's Universal Pectin, but have never used it. I just get the Ball brand at Wal-Mart. "Anonymous" might know better than I do, but I think I saw it in the Urban Homemaker catalog. And they do have a website if you want to look it up.

If you really like it maybe I will try it sometime (if I ever order anything else from the catalog, which I probably will considering the way I marked up the book section).

12:19 AM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I'll have to check it out. I've only used it twice, but it worked great both times. It has a separate packet of calcium which you add until it jells--apparently some fruits are lower in calcium and it interferes. I've only tried it with freezer jam, though, as that's the only way I like strawberry jam.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home