Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

So What's Your Point?

I apologize if my posts are turning into one big "health-kick" blur lately. It seems that is where my interest is right now, so naturally that's what I'm writing about. In a few more weeks I imagine I'll be writing more about homeschooling because I'll be doing my first grade planning then.

Any time you start thinking about health and nutritionally-related matters, sooner or later you're going to start wondering, "what's the point?" Does it really matter how much time, energy, and effort we put into living as healthfully as possible? Or, as someone once commented to my husband when the topic came up - "you gotta die somehow".

I have chosen to believe that eating healthfully is actually a matter of good stewardship over our bodies, otherwise known as "temples of the living God". Romans 12:1-2 are commonly quoted verses, but they are relevant to this topic, and bear repeating:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."

I think that gnosticism is alive and well in Christian circles today when it comes to eating habits. Clearly, Paul is saying in these verses that the physical realm has great bearing on the spiritual realm.

The point: eating healthfully is a spiritual act of worship, honoring the One who created us.

5 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I agree on the importance of eating healthfully, to maximize our ability to serve God and others.

On the other hand, I am trying to work out how to balance it with some other concerns. Like my husband was raised in a family that ate SO healthy he came to just hate eating. Food at home was gross, food anywhere else was bad for you. I think there has to be a place to enjoy God's good gifts, though of course health and good taste are not intrinsically opposed. (I've got him to enjoy eating tolerably well while he's doing it, but he still dreads it and puts it off as much as possible.)

The other issue I'm struggling with is time. With no helpers and needing two naps a day, I'm having trouble having time and energy to do anything but the food and laundry. I'm starting to realize that if I am ever going to tackle bigger projects like organizing and getting ready for a new baby, I have to find some way to shorten my labor time. So I've been swallowing my principles and buying bread and cold cereal instead of making all my own.

Admittedly, it's not impossible to find food that's cheap, tastes good, is quick to fix, and is healthy--it's just really, really, really hard sometimes. :-P

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the reason for eating healthfully but can relate to the time factor. Going to Kroger last night was not fun because the more I know about food and it's "origins" the less I can buy. I look at everything with a very critical eye and end up buying very little that can be done quickly or easily....back to the time issue again!

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about the reason for eating healthfully but can relate to the time factor. Going to Kroger last night was not fun because the more I know about food and it's "origins" the less I can buy. I look at everything with a very critical eye and end up buying very little that can be done quickly or easily....back to the time issue again!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

I know what you mean about the time. When I was expecting and also when the babies were under a year old, I just did my best to maintain the status quo. No big diet improvements.

It is really an issue of balance. We need to tend to our top priorities first, and if we don't have time or energy to do what we'd like in the kitchen, we just have to limit ourselves to what we can do.

The other problem is TASTE. I wouldn't eat something if I didn't like the way it tastes (unless it would be bad manners not to).

I also understand and agree about not getting so uptight about what you're eating that you don't enjoy it. I'm just kind of in a state of shock that a lot of the healthful foods I thought would taste terrible (e.g. whole wheat pancakes and pasta) - I actually like! :-)

12:36 AM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Hey, if you want to make really awesome whole wheat pancakes, mix up the flour and buttermilk the night before. They turn out light and fluffy. Works for muffins and such, too.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home