Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Monday, March 14, 2005

Sugar-Free Again!

Time to celebrate! I've been sugar-free now for 6 days! That's the hardest part - the first few days. I think I can make it now without caving in. I've had the problems associated with sugar withdrawal: headache, mental fog (do I hear laughter?), and sugar craving. Just keep me away from the Easter candy aisle at Wal-Mart.

I recently re-read this article, which I had saved in my bookmarks a long time ago. It is called "Family Nutrition 101", and it has some EXCELLENT information in it for anyone interested in eating more healthfully.

Since I've been off of sugar last week, this article gave me an idea of a good-for-you sweet treat. It turned out great! You just mix plain yogurt (no flavors or sugars), real maple syrup, and blueberries (mine were from the freezer). YUM! Much better for you than the flavored yogurt with sugar in it. Yogurt is great to help the good bacteria in your body, especially if you've been on antibiotics anytime over the last few years. Unfortunately, the sugar in the little flavored yogurt cups decreases its effectiveness. It's better to use a natural sweetener (honey or real maple syrup), and best to use no sweetener at all.

Hopefully my energy level will pick up once I'm completely through with the sugar withdrawal. But all bets are off on Easter morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill's Blog said...

Personally, there's nothing quite like a big chunk of Hershey's dark chocolate. It energizes me, along with my daily afternoon nap. It also keeps me mentily sharp and wide awoke.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I asked for a yogurt maker from husband for Christmas and have made it several times (time again). Another thing you can use to sweeten is granulated fructose. The kids really like it (the ones that like yogurt). My problem with that whole thing now is the pasturized, homon.... milk thing. Have you read much about raw milk? The kids still drink a fair amount, so I tried the Organic milk at Wal Mart ($$ but maybe worth it as I haven't found a source for raw) which is a little better health wise.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops that last one was me again
Lynette (I'm new at this)

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home