Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, March 04, 2005

This and That...

I just finished the most disgusting household chore known to man (or woman), and if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you've never had (or been) a little boy.

I also gathered eggs this afternoon, produced by our three hens (we think only two of them are actually laying). One of them had started a secret place to lay her eggs, but today I found her out. I suppose this is the down side to free-range chickens. Unless you enjoy scavenger hunts. I am always amazed when I bring in eggs. I don't know why, but it just seems miraculous to me that all you have to do is keep a few birds around the yard, and in exchange you get eggs for cooking. You don't even have to feed them in the summer. They find their own food. We buy cracked corn to feed them in the winter, but the big bags we get are pretty cheap (cheep? haha), and they last for a long time.

Our duck is doing great! Her feathers are growing back, and she's itching to get out of her pen to roam around the yard and explore the pond again. We're keeping her in the pen until the pond melts. We figure that if that hawk bothers her again, she should at least have the water she can dive into to escape. This doesn't work so well when the pond is frozen solid (Hooray for March...is it spring yet???).

I tried a new bread recipe this week, and it flopped. I don't know if it was bad yeast, or if it was just me. I hate it when anything with yeast in it doesn't turn out well. Should I try it again with different yeast? Or will it be a complete waste of time and money?

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

In my experience, little kids love scavenger hunts for eggs. Which can be a problem. Once some very young guests of some friends with chickens found, removed and refrigerated the eggs from a *setting* hen. :-( Still, it's a useful phenomenon most of the time.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

I don't think my kids have made the connection that they could actually look for and find eggs that our chickens have layed. But the only place they can play in our yard and not be directly supervised is in a fenced-in yard where the chickens aren't allowed to go.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home