Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Servant Motherhood

I was going to write about the stories on Newsweek and in several other
publications about motherhood in the early 21st century, but just decided to post a link to Mrs. Jennie Chancey's excellent article at Ladies Against Feminism.

OK, so I'm still going to write about the articles. I agree with Mrs. Chancey, that, after reading the articles she mentions, I feel like I live in some kind of parallel universe. The women described in these articles find full-time motherhood not at all personally fulfilling or intellectually stimulating. They spend most of their time shuttling their kids from one activity to another. Then there are the moms on the other end of the spectrum who are bucking this "do everything" trend and they are doing absolutely nothing with/for their children. Which isn't entirely bad (giving them time to play on their own without feeling like you need to buy them every electronic educational gadget under the sun). But it's also not exactly good, either(they use their time on themselves rather than on their home or children).

As a full-time, stay-at-home, homeschooling mom, things can get hectic and stressful at times. But what more fulfulling job can you possibly have than raising children (of your own) and taking care of a family. I think that the moms who can't find mothering "intellectually stimulating" are simply not interested in pursuing intellectually stimulating behavior, such as READING BOOKS. How much more intellectually stimulating can you get? When you stay at home with your kids, you will get a FEW moments of peace from time to time (sometimes you have to enforce strict quiet times, but it can be done!). I absolutely cannot relate to these stressed-out moms. Not that I don't ever have stress in my life. My sons fight with each other sometimes, my daughter has occasional crying jags, and one son has terrible aim and pees all over the bathroom floor at regular intervals. This is temporary stress that comes with the situation. It comes and goes, and has nothing to do with finding fulfillment as a mother.

I think that society in general simply puts too much emphasis on women finding
"personal fulfillment" away from their families. It seems to me a recipe for self-
absorption. What we have is a large group of women who are emotionally sick because they are not having their "needs" met. God calls us all to be servants, and what greater servant is there than the mother who takes care of her children and her home? I find servanthood very fulfilling. :-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill's Blog said...

I read the Newsweek article "The Myth of the Perfect Mother", and while I recognized the obvious anti-stay-at-home-mom slant to the article, what I took from the article was a reminder of the pressures facing young mothers in today's culture. Being a good parent-either Mom or Dad-is a daily, even hourly exercise in servanthood. As a vested member of the "me" generation, I struggle with this whole serving thing. I prefer to be served than to serve.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

I think serving is difficult for everyone. That's why parenting (and being a spouse) is so valuable, because it teaches us to demonstrate humility with our family by serving them whether we feel like it or not.

Also, the writer of the article seems to think that being a good parent means being a perpetual taxi driver and mundane task completer. I think that grounded, Christian parents who are concerned with serving their children will do more to consider what is truly best for their children and spouse before they give up all their time to do the kinds of things that these parents are doing.

Thanks for the comment, BILL. :-)

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home