Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Volcano

We are in the process of making The Papier-Mache Volcano this week for the big volcano birthday party coming up this weekend. As a parent, you have to assume that at some point you will end up making at least one of these with/for your children. Don't even think that you can get through 18 years (or more?) of parenting without making one.

Hopefully when we pour the vinegar into the baking soda it will amuse them for at least one moment in time. The trial run (no volcano, just a shampoo bottle with no red coloring in the vinegar) didn't do much for either of my sons. My older son just complained about the smell of the vinegar. I'm not even sure how son #2 came up with "volcanos" for a birthday party theme. Every time he's been asked over the last few months what kind of a party he wants for his 4th birthday, he replies "I want a volcano cake". We have two books about volcanos. He never reads them.

All right all you child psychology experts out there reading this, explain this one to me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

I made my brother a volcano cake once. He was born the week Mt. St. Helen's blew (and we lived not too far away), so it always had a particular significance for him. But I think volcanoes are pretty cool, regardless. As long as you don't get too close.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

I made a volcano cake once also, but I didn't know that that was what I was making at the time. I think volcano crafts and "cookery" are great because it doesn't matter how it turns out, it WILL look like a volcano. :-)

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home