Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

You Can Never Have Too Many Peaches

We were fortunate to find someone who grows peaches within a 30 minute drive of our house this summer. They are "minimally sprayed", but I peel them anyway. They are less treated than most commercial peaches, though. I believe they sell all their peaches locally, which is great! I think we (people in general) don't do enough to keep local growers in business. I know in our area, there are a growing number of people who are beginning to grow produce organically. I've met several at our local farmer's markets this summer.

Anyway, about the peaches. I think peaches are my favorite fruit. And this time of year they are so sweet and juicy. Who needs sugar when you've got fresh peaches? (I also must note that eating a peach is almost as messy as eating watermelon!) This year I canned 27 half-pints of peach jam. Last year's peach jam turned out so good that I did it the same way - with honey, using Pomona's Pectin. I also froze enough peach pie filling for 9 pies. This took 1-1/2 bushels (subtract about 1/3 of a bushel for swiped peaches we all ate for snacks).

Here's what I did to make the pie filling:

Combine:
3/4 c. Rapadura (or Sucanat)
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (or a little bit more)
1 tsp. cinnamon

Add this mixture to 6 cups of peeled, thickly sliced, fresh peaches. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add 3 tbsp. honey and 2 tbsp. lemon juice.

Spoon into a gallon Ziploc bag, seal, and freeze. When it's time to make the pie, I thaw out the filling the night before in the refrigerator. When the bottom crust is ready, I put in the pie filling and then some butter. Then the top crust.

Last night my husband reminded me that he likes some almond extract in his, so I will also likely add a little bit of that to the peaches before I put them on top of the bottom crust.

This was an easy recipe to do in multiple batches. I just used a big stockpot to mix it all up in, and divided the filling into the appropriate number of bags as equally as I could.

Have a peachy day! (Sorry, I know that's a little corny)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home