Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Monday, August 28, 2006

And Now a Word From Our Sponsor: Chicken Broth

I just put a chicken to cook overnight in my stockpot. Real chicken broth (as opposed to canned or powdered/cubed boullion) is so good. Sometimes I think I actually crave it. I put one whole chicken in the pot, then added about 3/4 gallon of water. Then I added a little bit of apple cider vinegar and some coarsely chopped vegetables (onions, celery, carrots and garlic). Now I'll let it simmer all night long. By morning, I'll have some great chicken broth. Oh yes, and also a chicken ready to eat. But the main thing is the broth. Here's something I read about chicken broth in a book called Nourishing Traditions:
Why is chicken soup superior to all the things we have, even more relaxing than "Tylenol?" It is because chicken soup has a natural ingredient which feeds, repairs and calms the mucous lining in the small intestine. This inner lining is the beginning or ending of the nervous system. It is easily pulled away from the intestine through too many laxatives, too many food additives...and parasites. Chicken soup...heals the nerves, improves digestion, reduces allergies, relaxes and gives strength. -Hanna Kroeger, Ageless Remedies from Mother's Kitchen
Also from the same book, here's a South American proverb: "Good broth resurrects the dead." It smells great while it's cooking, and is one of the first things you can try drinking after a bout with the stomach flu. Personally, I like to drink chicken broth as it is with just a little bit of sea salt. Of course, you can't go wrong to make it into chicken noodle soup!

Here's the conclusion to my commercial on chicken broth: try some homemade chicken broth today. You'll be glad you did! Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home