Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Something Unusual At Our House

We’re on break from school for the next month! Actually, we still have a few chapters to read together, but that’s it. On to 2nd grade for kid number 1. And on to kindergarten for kid number 2.

On our summer hiatus, I have decided that I will clean the kitchen. It was a decision I made reluctantly, as I would rather spend my vacation reading on the couch in the breeze of the fan while licking a fudgesicle. But it was hard to avoid the looks I would get (not naming any names here) when a (glass) glass would fall out of the cupboard when opened (due to lack of space). Also, it was getting increasingly difficult to close the cooking utensils drawer on the first try. It had to be rearranged every time the drawer needed to be closed. Something had to be done.

So for the last week I have been taking things out of the kitchen, cleaning, and then putting only needed items back into the kitchen. So far this is working out well, except that now I have a school table full of unneeded things that will have to be put somewhere sometime. And I’m only maybe a quarter of the way finished. But my hope is that by the time I am finished, no one will be injured by falling objects with the simple act of opening a cupboard door.

I’m writing about this because it is a significant thing in my life. Every one else I know has spotless kitchens. They wouldn’t blog about cleaning the kitchen. I would like to be able to keep things tidier and better organized than I do, but…well, just to give you an example, last winter as I was getting ready to mop the kitchen floor, my then 2-year-old daughter points at the mop and asks, "What’s that, Mommy?" I guess I really should clean the floor more often than I do.

My guess is, by the end of August, I’ll be more than ready to start school again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home