Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Chores for boys

We just started a new cycle of chore responsibilities. I encourage our 19-month-old daughter to help clean up the toys, but other than that, I don't expect her to do anything in the way of chores. Our almost 4-year-old is now learning to make his bed in the morning, and set the table for meals. He also folds the washcloths when we do laundry (he was already doing this). I'm still helping him get dressed, but I think four years old is about the cut-off for needing help getting dressed. I'm trying to transition him into being able to do it all on his own. He is improving when it comes time to pick up toys. We still need to make some progress there, though. My 5-1/2 year old son is starting to help me clear out the dishwasher, and also cleans off the table after meals. He has started putting his own clean clothes away, makes his bed, and helps with the toy pick up.

It is such a relief to have my boys starting to be old enough to make a difference when they help out. I think this is a significant part of their education - just being able to take care of themselves and their belongings, and doing a share of the household chores. Sometimes it feels like pulling teeth, just training them a little at a time. But looking back on how far we've come so far makes it all worth it. It's good for them, and it's also so helpful to me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home