Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, December 31, 2004

Through the year in feminine dress

It's been a little over one year now since I switched over to wearing all skirts and dresses. When I first made the change I was planning to go for one week, just to see how it felt. I thought for sure I would revert to jeans again in the coldest weather of the winter. But I got through the first week and I loved it! I kept wearing the skirts and when it got extremely cold in January and February, I found it wasn't really a problem at all. I would wear tights or leggings with my skirts when I was outside for brief periods of time. I don't recall ever spending very long outside when it was that cold anyway, so it wasn't even an issue.

Then in the spring, I thought for sure I would give way during the hottest summer months and trade my jumpers for shorts. Once again, it turned out that I really didn't have a bit of trouble. On the hottest days I tended to stay inside with the air conditioning anyway. I found that a cotton skirt or jumper can be just as cool as shorts.

For me, wearing skirts and dresses has become more than just a preference, although it is that as well. It seems that as our world moves deeper into the 21st century, cultural forces are more and more transforming the masculine into the feminine and the feminine into the masculine, until soon all we'll be left with is a single androgynous gender. Anything distinctly feminine or distinctly masculine is being cast aside in favor of nothing distinctly anything. I take great pleasure in digging my heels into the ground and refusing to budge an inch from my now feminine wardrobe.

Another blessing in feminine dress is the effect it's likely to have on my children. Certainly I hope and pray that I will be able to transfer my love of feminine dress to my daughter. I also pray that this will be one item on my sons' checklists when they begin looking for a wife. I know that's a long time from now, but time flies...

The last thing changing to skirts and dresses has effected is my sense of modesty. I am much more aware now than I used to be, that a female with "everything" covered is not necessarily modest. Jeans and pants, in my opinion, are either so tight that they are immodest, or so loose that they are sloppy and/or masculine-looking. I didn't used to think this was so, but I see it more now that I've adjusted to always wearing skirts.

Over the last week I have had to wear jeans to take food to the dog and chickens because the snow was so deep that my skirt would be soaked by the time I finished. It felt so strange! I was glad to get back inside and change back into "normal" clothes! I really look forward to the new year as I continue in my decision to wear more feminine clothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home