Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Sugar free again soon?

I'm getting myself "psyched up" to banish sugar from my diet again. It's been...interesting the last two weeks. I really haven't limited sugar at all over that time, and I was able to tell a big difference in the way I felt. I felt much more tired, and just BLAH. But it sure tasted GREAT! To give myself a "kick in the pants" (skirt?), so to speak, I found this article on 124 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health. Sounds encouraging, doesn't it? Here are a few ways sugar can ruin your health, for your edification:

"In addition to throwing off the body's homeostasis, excess sugar may result in a number of other significant consequences. The following is a listing of some of sugar's metabolic consequences from a variety of medical journals and other scientific publications."
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system
2. Sugar upsets the mineral relationships in the body
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children
4. Sugar can produce a significant rise in triglycerides
5. Sugar contributes to the reduction in defense against bacterial infection (infectious diseases)
6. Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function, the more sugar you eat the more elasticity and function you loose
7. Sugar reduces high density lipoproteins
8. Sugar leads to chromium deficiency
9. Sugar leads to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, and rectum
10. Sugar can increase fasting levels of glucose
11. Sugar causes copper deficiency
12. Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium

On another subject, regarding reason number 9: I corrected the rather embarrassing vocabulary faux pas of using the word "prostrate" when what is really meant is "prostate". Don't let this happen to you! "Prostrate" is the word we use as in "let angels prostrate fall". "Prostate" is the OTHER MEANING. Thank you. I get rather uncomfortable when I giggle after I am told that someone we know has prostrate cancer. It's not that I don't understand the gravity of the situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home