Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, December 17, 2004

And you thought milk was good for you!

Here's an article on the added chemicals (hormones, antibiotics) injected into cows that show up in the milk that we buy at the store. We're having a hard time figuring out how much milk our children should drink. On one hand, we've all been brought up to believe that milk is good for children to drink. To an extent, I think this is true. It has vitamins and minerals in it that kids need. On the other hand, milk is so full of hormones and antibiotics, not to mention the pasteurization and homogenization that effects the health benefits of the milk. My husband and I don't drink milk any more. I use it occasionally when I cook (sometimes I use powdered milk instead). But we are also tending to give our kids less milk than we used to. They still have a full cup in the morning, and the youngest one gets a little more than the others, but we are cutting back. If we could find a good source of raw milk, maybe we would try that. I don't know what the chances are of getting sick due to the milk not being pasteurized, but I would guess it is probably pretty small. Right now we buy whole vitamin D milk, which is homogenized. That's another process that harms the milk's original nutritional value. But we get that because the 2% and skim milk is processed in a way that makes the antibiotics and hormones in the milk more concentrated. You can't win, either way, I guess. But I think it is important to do the best you can with the information you have, and try to eat as healthfully as you can. That's just taking care of your "temple". I realize exercise is as important as what you eat, and I don't do a very good job of that. Unless you count taking care of children as an aerobic activity, which sometimes it is. A little bit of change at a time!

Notice I haven't mentioned sugar in while. This is the season of sugar "lost causes". Wait until the New Year to ask us how we're doing on our sugar intake. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home