Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Wabbit Season

I have never heard my older son laugh as hard as he has laughed over the last few days. We borrowed a set of Looney Tunes cartoons from the library this week. They are now educated in the area of several "culturally relevant" cartoon quotes, such as "You're deth-picable", and "Wabbit Season". The scene that gets the most laughs is when Elmer Fudd shoots at Daffy for the 10th time and Daffy's head is upside down. Son #1 laughed so hard he had a cough attack. When a cartoon would come on that I remembered seeing as a kid, I would tell my kids that this was a classic. I think my favorites are the ones where Elmer is hunting wabbits and Daffy gets involved in the hunt. And Bugs says, "You stay out of this. He doesn't have to shoot you now." And Daffy says, "Hm. Pronoun trouble." I'm cracking myself up just thinking about it.

I've told my husband that our children are living, breathing anachronisms. They don't have a clue what their peers are watching on tv, or what toys they're playing with (other than their friends at church, maybe). But they do know about Popeye, Superman, Bugs Bunny, and Felix the Cat. They know about Bonanza and I Love Lucy (although we don't watch these much). They think that Don Knotts is hilarious. The only video games they've played here at home have been a few old Atari games (we've gotten that out a couple of times). I don't suppose this will last forever, and I can't make a sweeping generalization that more recent television and video games are always bad, but it sure is fun doing things this way. I'm enjoying it, and I think they are, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home