Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

New Things

I bought a grapefruit last week. I don't eat them very often, but once in a while I'm in the mood for a little grapefruit. My boys saw it with the other fruit and wanted to try it. They'd never had grapefruit before. I tried to explain to them that they're a little bit like an orange, but MORE SOUR. I really stressed the MORE SOUR part. But they really wanted to try it. So I finally cut it in half and gave them each a few sections. They didn't like it (I knew they wouldn't), but I stopped myself before I said "I told you so". Don't I want them to try food they've never had before? Why discourage that "we want to try it!" attitude? I almost blew it there.

We went shopping yesterday, and Son #1 wanted to try pumpernickel bread because Barney likes pumpernickel bread (yes, I let my kids watch Barney). So I bought some, and all three kids LOVE it (with a little butter, of course). My husband came home from work last night wanting to know what was up with the pumpernickel bread. Unfortunately, he doesn't like it. I guess that just leaves more for the rest of us. haha.

Another recent new thing in our culinary repertoire are pomegranates. Our boys loved these also, but we found that it is too much work and too much mess. Of course our #3 was too young to try them. I doubt we'll be getting more any time soon.

I just thank the Lord for blessing us with children who will willingly try unfamiliar foods. I don't know if they are just naturally that way, or if we what we have done with them has cultivated that trait in them. Maybe a little of both. But I do know it's uncommon in children of their ages, so I'm appreciative either way!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home