Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Toys and Garlic Soup

It is virtually impossible to find toys at a store that are not made in China. I went Christmas shopping this week. I definitely could not find what I wanted. Everything I looked at said Made in China. The only catalog I know of that sells nothing made in China is this one. I like their stuff, but there's not a lot of variety in it. The stuff for girls especially. Not much there for a 4-year-old girl.

I tried a new soup last night. Garlic soup. (side note: I've been fighting off a cold recently, so garlic has played a big part of my life this week). It was delicious. I got the recipe from this book. Every soup recipe I have tried from this book has been excellent. I've never been much of a soup person, but I think that was because I was used to canned soups. There is no comparison. The key is to start with homemade stock. If you use canned stock or bouillon cubes you will not get the same delicious, healthful results. Other good soups from this book that I have tried: coconut chicken (only I used turkey), black bean, french onion, asparagus, and mushroom soups. My favorite stock is turkey. It seems to have a richer flavor than chicken stock, although of course chicken stock is good also.

Soup is a healthy, light, nourishing food, good for all of humanity; it pleases the stomach, stimulates the appetite and prepares the digestion. -J.A. Brillant-Savarin

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home