Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Finally

Well, we finally had our first frost this morning. I don't remember ever having the first frost so late! We still covered up our tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini. They're still producing! We covered them again tonight, but I know eventually we'll have to give it up.

I also had my first big post-farmer's market grocery shopping trip this weekend. I hadn't bought any vegetables from a grocery store at all since last May. It's been great! We were able to cut our grocery shopping trips to once every 2-3 weeks. We'll have to start going more often now, but it was great while it lasted. Next year hopefully I can preserve more produce so that even after the season is over we still won't have to shop every week. The only problem with that is we only have so much freezer space.

One thing I really enjoyed doing this year was growing our own celery and then drying it. We can't stand to eat celery just plain (raw), so I just dried all of it. I use it in recipes and in making stock. So my jars of dried celery should last us all winter.

One neat thing about the farmer's market is that you feel daring enough to try new things from time to time. This year we tried chard and kohlrabi. The chard especially is very good. You cook it much like you would spinach, but its flavor is a little milder. It's delicious with a big slab of butter melted over it and a little salt.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grandma D. was commenting about how impressed she was that you were raising and drying celery. We couldn't recall anyone trying that in this area. Did the celery turn out pretty good?
Way to go!
Love, Mom

8:11 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

Thanks, Mom! Yes, the celery is really good in stock. The last few days I've been simmering beef stock. I added a bit of those celery leaves and the flavor is very good. I like the beef stock in french onion soup (like we're having tonight, YUM). I just love good food. ;-)

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home