Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Children's Literature: Pick of the Week


James Herriot's Treasury for Children, Warm and joyful tales by the author of All Creatures Great and Small


This is just a lovely book about the experiences of a rural vet and the various animals that he encounters. We've been reading it for our studies in first grade (my second son). The illustrations are just beautiful, and I think I enjoy reading it as much as my kids enjoy hearing it.

We had a country vet visit our little homestead last week as well. My only registered goat, a Nubian, came down sick last week. Turns out she was stricken with goat polio, which is a vitamin B deficiency. So we've been giving her shots twice a day and she seems to be doing better. We are hoping that her vision isn't damaged permanently. Thanks to everyone who prayed for our Ellie. It feels a little silly asking people to pray for a goat of all things, but...all creatures great and small the Lord God made them all, right?

Here's a link to an article reviewing a new book I'd like to have a look at (Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes). The book reviewer didn't seem to think much of the book, but it sounds to me like maybe the book's author has a few things figured out.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home