Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

My Sentiments Exactly

No one has yet really decided that controversy about whether the hen or the egg came first. If it was the hen, there must surely have been a bleak period before the first eggs were laid. -Cooking with Mrs. Appleyard

That conveys my sentiments exactly. I think that eggs are pretty much the perfect food. About a month ago our chickens went from laying nine or ten eggs a day to one or two eggs a day. That didn't scare me, though. I had stockpiled my eggs because I knew this was coming. Hens will moult in the fall (they don't lay eggs while moulting) and laying also will significantly decrease due to the smaller amount of sunlight we get so close to the shortest day of the year. I had six or seven dozen eggs taking up space in my already crammed refrigerator. How long do you suppose it took for us to use up that stockpile with an input of only one or two eggs a day? Less than three weeks.

I told myself not to panic. I put eggs right up there on a pedestal along with breathable air and potable water. Air, water, eggs. Three substances necessary for life. So, you will all be relieved (but not as much as me) to know that our pullets (a.k.a. the teenage chickens) started laying this week! Now we are up to an input of six eggs a day, which is still a little low (especially considering they are quite small eggs), but I do believe we can scrape by on that. So, praise the Lord, and pass the salt and butter.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home