Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mom

Happy Mother's Day! I've written a few things now and then about how special my mother is: like here and here. Last year I posted a great Mother's Day poem. Now I'd like to write about one thing my mom always did as I was growing up that I think was wonderful, although at the time I didn't realize it. She was always so enthusiastic about babies, and children in general. We would see a family with a new baby and she would look at my dad and we all knew what her next words were going to be: "Oh Bill, we need a new baby!" As a teenager, the cool thing to do was to roll my eyes, which I'm sure I did a few times. But now that I am older I can see how lovely it was that she was always so overjoyed when it came to babies. Each one is a special welcome little person, in need of our love and extra attention. It is so sad that this joy is sorely lacking in today's culture. There are couples who choose on purpose to not have any children because of the stress, work, and time they entail. Well...I guess they're right about the stress, work, and time part; but they obviously don't understand the dividends that having children can bring. Being the generally lazy person that I am, I credit my mother with developing within me a love for children that helped me see past all that hard work. Mom: my children and I thank and salute you.
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. Proverbs 31:28-31

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill's Blog said...

Of course I want to comment about your post, Amey. I agree totally with your remembrances of your Mom. She LOVES each of her children, for sure; and children in general. You and Julie are certainly "cut from the same mold" too: you both love your children, and consider them to be the wonderful gift from God that they are. The only part I would disagree with you about is your assessment of yourself as a "generally lazy person". Nothing could be further from the truth. No, you and Julie are both very hard working Moms. You MUST have learned that from Mom, because your surely didn't learn it from me. I am so proud and amazed at both you and Julie for the kind of Moms you've become. Shonda is the same, but I don't think Mom can take any credit for that!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Bill's Blog said...

Its me, chiming in again. The only thing I know my kids have that I MIGHT take some credit for is their senses of humor. The only thing Mom ever did that displays a great sense of humor was marrying me. I mean, what was she THINKING?

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home