Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, January 26, 2007

A Break from the Lazy Blogger: Dresses

I came up with a great idea to break this "lazy blogger" streak I have going. I'm going to write about why I wear dresses. Actually, I do not wear wear dresses all the time. Not when I'm doing the chores or running on the treadmill. Nor when we go to amusement parks where I'm likely to ride some wild rides. It's good for us to articulate our reasoning behind things like this (good for the brain, and good to know why we do what we do), so I think I'll give it a shot. Obviously, this is a post geared towards Christian ladies.

First, I'll tell you what wearing dresses for me is not. It is not legalistic. I do not believe that wearing jeans is wrong. It is not a sin issue in any way. To me, this kind of thinking (legalism) is like always playing defense. We know that Satan attacks using "attractive immodesty". Therefore, we have to defend ourselves by not allowing certain types of clothing. My thoughts are that this just does not work. Anyway, we are free in Jesus, right?

At the same time, as Christians, we have to be thoughtful about what we wear. Immodesty is a stumbling block to many - the wearer and the viewer. Should we embrace legalism then? I don't think so. Do we offer ourselves up to the fashion industry and simply wear what we (they?) want without giving it any serious thought? What is needed in this case, is to consider playing offense, so to speak. Here are a few questions that might help us to dress well while on the offensive:
  • How can I dress in a lovely, feminine way?
  • How can I glorify God in my dress?
  • What kind of clothing does my husband/father like me to wear in public?
  • How can I dress in a way that will not cause my Christian brothers to stumble in their thought-life?
  • How can I be a witness to others in the public arena without even saying a word?
  • How can I teach my children that it is fun to glorify God in our dress, not restrictive?
You can probably see where I am going with this. I don't wear dresses because I feel that I must. I do it because it is a lovely way to glorify God with my life. It does not even take much effort! It is not the only lovely way to glorify God, but it is one way.

I have found that the only real drawback to wearing dresses is that sometimes I think others may assume I have fallen off the edge into legalism. Let me assure you that this is not the case. I am not one to overly care about what others think of me, but yet I would prefer for that not to be a stumbling block to others either.

We must also recognize that it is easy to find dresses that are not modest and will not glorify God. Simply "wearing a dress" is not all there is to it. You have to continue to think every time you shop. Giving your husband/father real veto power helps, too.

It has been three years now since I have started to mull all of these things over, and it has been an enjoyable three years. I wasn't sure I could do it at first. I didn't have very many dresses, and it just seemed like it would be a hassle to dress up every day. So I decided to try it for one week to see how it would work. I loved it! No hassles, no problems. Later, for variety, I found some nice-looking skirts, dresses, and jumpers at the Goodwill store for just a few dollars each. And the rest...is history.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home