Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Monday, December 18, 2006

The Good Life

I wrote a good, long post over the weekend and went to post it and my browser simultaneously crashed. No post. I was mad. I had to just forget it.

Christmas excitement is building here at our house. I decided to have a partial school-week this week. This would normally be our week off, but with Christmas next week, I'm sure we won't be having school then. My Christmas baking will include Chocolately-coconut candies, almond cookies, and regular cut-out Christmas cookies. I don't use white sugar in any of my baking, so these treats will all be sweetened with either honey or Rapadura. Maybe I will even try something new. There are many good recipes for sweet treats that don't involve sugar. And we must have treats for Christmas, musn't we?

I'm internet-shopping this week for a grain mill and a food processor. My old food processor broke last week whilst grating a piece of rock-like parmesan cheese. Grain milling will be new to me, but I'm excited to give it a shot. I've known for a while now that grain quickly goes rancid and loses its vitamin and mineral content quickly after it is ground, but I have not yet felt like it was time to take the plunge. Now I think we're ready.

Ruby, our cow, is 11 months old. She is going into heat regularly now, but we can't breed her until next June or so. Have you ever been around a cow in heat? Watch out! It's a real adventure. We have due dates for two of our goats: March 23 for Daisy, and April 28 for Iris. Rose is a big mystery. We don't know for sure when or if she is "due".

As busy as I am, this homeschoolin' farm-livin' from scratch bakin' life leaves me feeling very content. I think it is right where God wants us to be. Things aren't always easy and more trials will come, but we're grounded here and this is definitely the good life.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home