Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Miscellaneous Homestead News

We have a possible due date for Daisy, our dairy goat. March 23. So mark it on your calendars. If all went as we expect it did, we will have more cute little goat babies next March. My daughter already misses the goat milk. She greatly prefers goat milk over cow milk, but then I guess she's just used to it. I completely stopped milking Daisy a little over a week ago. I was only getting about 1-1/2 cups of milk each time I milked her, which is so little it was not really worth my time and energy.

We had a hawk visit our hens this week. Fortunately, I was outside at the time and was able to scare the thing off before it did any damage. Our egg production, which wasn't high to begin with, is down to around 1-2 eggs per day. Our "teenage" hens (hatched last May) haven't started laying yet, and with the shorter daylight hours, we're not getting enough eggs to keep our family supplied.

Ruby, our miniature jersey cow, is doing well, and I get a content feeling when I look outside and see her grazing nearby.

Our Muscovy ducks, although they did control the mosquito population this summer, got themselves into trouble. They took up residence at a neighbor's "nice" pond and proceeded to trash the place. We were not able to keep them away, so...anyone for a duck dinner? They're goin' in the freezer. Which is disappointing because the mosquito-free summer evenings this year were really nice. But we can't have them straining neighborly relationships.

I made my own butter for the first time today. It was fun, and I can't believe it took me so long to try it. Everyone wanted bread with lots of butter on it for dinner tonight. Just a reminder, butter is much better for you than margarine. If you have any margarine, you should throw it out.

I'm continuing to learn more about herbs and herbal remedies. I've recently made several of my own tinctures. I really enjoy learning all this stuff that I had no idea about before. It's great fun, and when you learn new things it makes you remember how much stuff you don't know anything about.

The results of the election were disappointing, of course, but you know, God is still in charge and He will work out His will here on earth whether the Republicans are in the majority or not. I keep telling myself that, because it has a way of helping me keep things in perspective.

Thank you for reading my blog! I'm blessed that you chose to spend time here today! Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Kaye said...

Amey, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. I don't regularly read it, but when I do, I just love it. The way you write is comforting somehow, and it always makes me feel good. In a way, I think reading about all your old-fashioned and country/family activities (if that makes sense!)makes me feel like Im reading a good book! I hope next time I come up to Ohio, I might be able to come and see your home!
-Sarah Kaye

8:47 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

Thanks, Sarah Kaye, that's sweet. :-) You're welcome any time!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home