Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My Christmas 'Gift' to My Husband

My husband is not a shopper. It didn't take long after we got married for me to start scheming about our holiday gift-giving practices. I came up with a great idea. I shop for him and for myself. When I do his shopping for him and buy gifts for myself, then that's kind of like a gift for him, right? What a load that must be off of his mind, to not have to worry about what to get for me. This way, all he has to do is ask me: "Amey, what did I get you for Christmas? And did I wrap it yet?" And I say, "Yes, dear. You got me a coconut candy bar and the latest issue of Mother Earth News. And yes, 'you' already wrapped it." Easy. And I always get what I want!

Side note: it cracks me up that I like to read Mother Earth News. I like to just bring it up in conversations with friends and family members. Something like, "Oh yes. I just read something about that in Mother Earth News." I can tell it really impresses them.   

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, impresses....or whatever.

LOL!

By the way, congrats on being a Multicellular Organism now. No more lowly microbe! :oD

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very practical...but falls a little short on the "romantic" side.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

Thanks for the congratulations, Julie!

As far as romantic gifts are concerned, neither one of us are the "romantic gifts" sort. We'd both rather put our money other places. Just a personality thing, I guess. :-)

He did bring home a beautiful (expensive) floral arrangement for our last wedding anniversary, however. That counts as romantic!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my point. He doesn't need to buy you "romantic gifts," just make an effort himself.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad that the world measures romance by material possesions. Better to measure by what you have left after the world passes away.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

I'm not quite sure how such a light-hearted post could turn into a debate. Whoever "anonymous" is, if you're going to post comments that tend to pull others into a debate, I would appreciate it if you would sign your name to your comment. Thanks.

You may be interested in reading "The Five Love Languages", by Dr. Gary Chapman. I haven't read it myself, but I have heard about it (Dr. Dobson's program). Maybe I'll post a few links sometime. It's basically a personality theory in which different people have different ways they show love to others, and ways they prefer to be shown love. One of those love languages is gifts. There are also acts of service, words of affirmation, quality time, and physical touch.

In other words, there are people for whom gifts do not mean much (not that we don't like gifts, but that other things mean more).

Try this quiz: http://selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=lovelanguages

I don't think that will create a link. You'll have to copy and paste, if that will work.

Hope this helps whoever is concerned. :-)

9:18 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

On that site I posted, the address is only missing a few letters. The last part should be: lovelanguages. You'll have to type that in if you want to do the quiz.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home