Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, March 25, 2005

The Greatest Story

I apologize that all my posts lately have been about Terri. It seems that's about all I can think about these days. You all know how I feel, and if you want to keep up on the news, try WorldNetDaily (link in the sidebar). And avoid ABCNNBCBS at all costs. I've also been very disappointed with FOXNews in this whole thing. They're supposedly "Fair and Balanced". I disagree.

So I will move on now, and you can just know that even though I'm writing about something else, I'm still THINKING about Terri. So I hope what you read next will make sense.

I LOVE the Bible story book I'm using to read to my children. It's the Child's Story Bible, by Catherine F. Vos. No fluff, no nonsense. Just the facts. Violence and all. Do you realize how violent God was in Old Testament times? People, too. There was a lot of killing, sacrificing...it wasn't pretty. My kids have heard it all. Even my innocent little girl (she eats raisins in her high chair while I read). I think it's good for them to know the truth. Some people might say I should protect my children from hearing such things. To me, training them up in the way they should go includes helping them to understand our depraved condition as human beings, the power of God to mete out justice, and that the only hope for us is to throw ourselves at His feet asking for mercy. Sounds like I have a negative view of life, but THAT is foundational for knowing true joy and having a positive view of life.

All of this is why I have a concern for the way children are presented the crucifixion-resurrection story. Here's one way:

"Jesus' friends watched as the soldiers put Jesus our King on a cross and made him stay there until he died. Then they took Jesus from the cross and brought his body to a lovely garden. In that garden was a special place called a tomb. Gently they laid Jesus' body inside the tomb and rolled a big stone in front of it. The garden was quiet; the sad day was over."

There also seem to be a proliferation of pictures that portray Jesus as being tied to the cross with ropes.

Why the hesitation to tell the whole truth about the crucifixion? I realize that some children are more sensitive than others, but is that really a good excuse to "dumb down" the gospel, and even mislead them into believing things that never happened (what's up with the ropes?)? What story is more important than this one? Isn't it imperative to get it right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would suppose the question in Terri's case would have been: how can anyone who doesn't have first-hand knowledge know which way this went? Are you certain enough to make the judgments you've made on this blog?

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home