Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Monday, November 21, 2005

My Recent Culinary Adventures

Considering we had an abundance of milk and eggs this weekend, I decided to try custard. I used the recipe from my "normal" cookbook, only I substituted raw sugar for the white sugar. Only 1 out of 3 children liked it, though.

Another recent favorite of mine has been chicken noodle soup. Real soup, that I made. Not from a can. The real chicken stock is just excellent. I never realized how great it really was (I never was much of a soup eater).

Also on the soup front: black bean soup. I soaked the beans, made beef stock, and everything. I love black bean soup. Apparently my kids do not. No big deal though...I've lost track of the number of times I have told them, "OK, well, you know you won't get anything to eat until breakfast tomorrow morning if you don't eat all your dinner." Usually this line works, because they are always "starving" within one hour of the end of meal time.

I also made kefir for the first time this weekend, but haven't tried it yet. It has to sit for a while for the culture to...culture. I hope I like it. If I don't, I'm sure I won't be drinking it. Even though it is very good for you. Call me weird, but I just don't like to eat food (or drink drinks) that don't taste good. My husband says he'll drink it.

Another recent creation that did get rave reviews from all quarters: cinnamon-raisin rolls. I made them with my regular bread recipe. I just mixed up some cinnamon and raw sugar, sprinkled it over a layer of melted butter on the dough, added some raisins, and rolled it up and sliced it. Very good warm with butter. This tends to be the kind of treat we have occasionally since we don't do refined sugar. I haven't tried cookies yet with the raw sugar, but hope to once the Christmas baking season kicks into gear.

I guess I've been trying a lot of new things lately. I think that comes and goes in cycles. Sometimes I don't make anything different for weeks. Other times I try several new things within just a few days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I just stopped to look up what "kefir" is.

Eww. Doesn't appeal, sorry!

:oP

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My children are also not fond of the various soups I make and I make at least one a week. They are used to them though and eat their required bowlful. I also have a good black bean recipe but it is not soaked although could be. My chicken stock plus soup, made last night,(seasoned by my husband) had a total of 6 small bone fragments in it much to everyone's dismay...I only had a few minutes to take those little pieces of chicken off before leaving and OBVIOUSLY was not careful enough.....

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home