Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

More on Sugar

Thanksgiving Day is pretty much a "free-for-all" when it comes to sugar. You pretty much take the license to eat whatever you want (at least I do...). Now it's back to a sugar-free existence. But with December starting tomorrow, it will be difficult. The entire month of December is tricky for those of us trying to avoid sugar. Of course, I have to make SOMETHING with the kids, right? What's December without Christmas cookies? And what's a stocking without candy in it? Right now we have three family dinners planned. Will I wilt under the stress of staring at one of my sister's yummy sugary concoctions (her chocolate chip cheescake cupcakes were great at Thanksgiving - better than the pumpkin pies, I thought)? Probably. BUT, if I can limit myself to family dinners, and Christmas Day itself, I will be doing well, I think. Plus, I have a RECIPE that helps for those other times. I made this one up myself (couldn't find anything like it on Google):

Pina Colada Yogurt Smoothie
In a blender, blend:
2/3 can of pineapple tidbits
Pineapple juice from the can of pineapple
1 cup ice
1 cup yogurt (plain - no sugar, no flavorings)
1 banana (can be frozen if you want the smoothie to be thicker and tougher on the blender :-)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp. coconut extract

This is so good, and my kids love it too. But then, when I give it to them, I call it a milkshake. Haha.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Also very good if you substitute frozen mixed berries for the pineapple. Doesn't even need honey, IMO.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

Sounds good! Other than the pineapple and banana, I also like strawberries. I tried it with peaches, but it didn't turn out as well for some reason.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home