Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, November 26, 2004

Thanksgiving

We had a lovely Thanksgiving yesterday. We're thankful to God for so many blessings we enjoy. Thank YOU, family, for such a lovely day! :-)

Is "thank" a transitive verb or an intransitive verb? A transitive verb requires a direct object. An intransitive verb does not. The dictionary says that it is transitive. That means that if you are thankful for something, you must be thankful to someone or something. It is curious to me to hear people speak on Thanksgiving of the things they are thankful for. But they do not say to whom they are thankful. How odd it is that people who do not believe in God can be thankful on Thanksgiving day. Maybe they just have thankful "feelings". Why should they feel thankful? Isn't this just another proof that humans have this "God-shaped vacuum" inside themselves?

I read this week that the entire state of Maryland was allowing absolutely no reference to God in its schools' celebrations of Thanksgiving. Do they not see the absurdity of this? (Apparently not). What is the point of celebrating Thanksgiving when you have no one to thank?

With this in mind, I am trying to remind myself to include in my "thankful statements" that I am thankful to God. For example, if I tell my children I am thankful for them, I say "I thank God for you, children." I like the idea of always including God in our thanking. To just say, "I'm thankful for you, children", leaves out an important part, even though it's true either way! ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home