Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

One More Thing...

about More-With-Less. I finished reading the commentary in the book, and skimmed through the recipes. The author's intent is admirable (wanting to do something about world hunger), but I'm not sure the method she suggests really does anything. And she misses one of the more important points that COULD have been made about those recipes: for the most part, they are broken down to the simplest possible ingredients. I think that there is value in simplicity beyond consuming few resources. It's also more healthful (when you substitute other things for the margarine and soybeans), and cheaper. You're also closer to eating food in its most natural form. You tend to appreciate your food more when it is all made from scratch. I'm sure there are other reasons as well - can you think of any?

Personally, I know I've never appreciated eggs as much as I have since we started gathering them from our own chickens. By way of confession, however, I should admit that I do use instant mashed potatoes about 3 times a month. Don't hold it against me, though. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home