Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

More on More-with-Less

I'm still reading More-with-Less. It is a little dated, even though I have the newer edition with some updated information. One thing that bothers me about the book is that it talks a lot about using soy. Soy is not good for you unless it is fermented (as in soy sauce). I also noticed that it mentions over-population a time or too, which tends to get my dander up. As far as I know, the command to be fruitful and multiply is still in effect.

I really appreciate the "pep talk" this book is giving me on Christian concern for world hunger and protecting the environment. I tend to dismiss any environmentalism as being evil simply because it is the realm of the New Agers and one world government advocates. But I think that you can value humans as more important than animals and trees and still be concerned about the environment. And you can be a stickler about wanting our nation to keep its sovereignty yet still realize that our health suffers because of all the chemicals being used for herbicides and pesticides in farming.

We (our family) have a long way to go as far as living as healthfully as possible. We're moving ahead one step at a time though. I remember a time when I thought the world would end if I had to stop using hydrogenated and partially-hydrogentated fats. What about pie crusts (I used to use Crisco, now I use butter)? What about Bisquick (I don't buy it any more - I make my own biscuit mix)? Now it's almost as if we'd never used the stuff to begin with. But there are plenty of other things that would also be good for us to do. Right now we don't recycle, and we probably use too much plastic to store our food and water in. I'm thinking that for as much bread as we eat (toast in the morning for breakfast and sandwiches a few times a week), it would be better for us if I made the bread and avoided the chemicals in the store-bought bread. We don't buy all organic fruits and vegetables. Of course we can't DO IT ALL, but we can always do a little more!

As far as world hunger is concerned, the author's opinion seems to be that it takes a lot of grain to feed the animals we eat as meat, and that if we got more of our protein from sources other than meat, that grain could be put to better use. But I'm not sure I agree. Does it necessarily follow that unused grain here in the U.S. makes it to third world countries that have need of it? I think it would be better to make a case for low-meat consumption by looking at the health and financial benefits.

I think that world hunger is more of a complex issue. Maybe you can cover it in your blog? I don't think I'm up to it. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home