Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Homeschool Blues

We're in a bit of a homeschooling rut. Fortunately, we're only in kindergarten, and we're well ahead of most of our son's age-mates. Last week we were sick, so we took a few sick-days off. Since then, we have only done Bible and math. We haven't done phonics or handwriting in almost 2 weeks. It's not really that big of a deal since we're ahead, BUT I sure wish I (we?) could get a little more motivated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Don't fret about it. I'm of the opinion that formal education for those under 8-10 is rather like solid food for those under a year: not where they should be getting most of their nourishment anyway, although if you want to do a little it won't hurt them. Just have fun doing real life stuff together, and they'll learn far more than any other way.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Amey said...

Thanks for the comment. Of course, you're right. My latest adventure in real-life teachable moments happened at the grocery last week. I was showing my son how to weigh produce on the scales and the entire scale fell off of its hook. It didn't fall on us, fortunately, but I guess a falling scale can be a teachable moment in itself... :-)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Queen of Carrots said...

Yes, not only did you study math, but, via the law of gravity, physics! ;-)

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home