Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ruby's Calf and Other Stuff

Well, our new calf is now over a week old, and she is doing great! It only took Ruby a day to get used to the "mommy routine", and now there's no problems with the calf finding her milk at all. That is good, because I am close to being able to wean my bottle-baby. I don't need another one.
Here's the calf with her mother.





Before she was born my husband warned us all (and I quote): "You might not want to name this one, because you know where it will end up." (note: our last ones were named T-Bone and Sir Loin) What did I hear my husband call her the afternoon after she was born? "Here, Buttercup! Here, Buttercup!" SO, I don't know exactly where this one will "end up", but can you imagine serving "Buttercup" for dinner? Me neither. We'll see what happens.





We have a number of new birch trees along our driveway now. The biggest tree in the background, right in front of the pond, is "Penny". She has been a part of our family for years now.

Check out this huge egg we got the other day. Ouch. It was a double-yolker.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work on an egg farm. When they got eggs this big they said the chicken usually died laying it. How did your chicken fare? They called "blow-outs".

5:57 PM  
Blogger Amey said...

We think they're all fine, but we don't count them every day and they're "free range". Haven't noticed any problems, though!

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home