Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Election Musings

I've been considering over the last few months the merits of third-party candidates for president (namely, Michael Peroutka of the Constitution Party) vs. our old standby, George W. My quandary was, should we vote for the candidate who most fully embraces our ideals regardless of "electability", or should we vote for the candidate most likely to win in order to keep out of office the one candidate that we DO NOT WANT as president? I have read good articles on each side.

I especially appreciate the insights of the "Queen of Carrots", whose blog I just finished reading. She refers to the analogy of driving off of a cliff: the Democrats are driving off the cliff at 85 mph, the Republicans at 55 mph, and the Constitution Party has erected a concrete wall between the car and the cliff. That does seem to be an accurate picture to me. Tough choice, isn't it?

It's a little troubling to me, though, that so many Christians do not seem to be addressing this issue. They just seem to assume that a vote for Bush is a vote for Jesus. Do they just not know about the Constitution Party? Is it a matter of dismissing this option for a very good reason which I haven't thought of or heard about yet? Maybe they agree with everything the President has done over the last four years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home