Amey's Blog

I planned for this to be about homemaking and homeschooling, but now it's just a chaotic jumble of news and ideas about animals, kids, food, and other random thoughts.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Cold Medicine

Could someone please explain to me why we must limit the amount of cold medicine one can buy? Some states are beginning to limit how much pseudoephedrine (brand name, Sudafed) a single person can purchase. This happened to me at Wal-Mart last winter. I had 3 "ducklings" 4 years old and younger, and they all had colds. I was not able to buy enough cold medicine for them. The clerk told me only 2 (I think?) packages at a time. The rationale behind this is so that people will not use the Sudafed to make methamphetamines. What are larger families than mine supposed to do? Fortunately my grandmother was in line behind me and she bought them for us. It's not as if Sudafed is some kind of fringe, over-the-top, rarely used cold medicine. It is THE MAJOR decongestant. Decongestant is all you need when your main symptom is a stuffy nose (other than maybe some chicken noodle soup, hot tea, and plenty of tissues). I can certainly understand that we want to discourage drug use, and babies born with these drugs in their systems are heart-wrenching to hear about. However, this rule seems to diminish the need for personal accountability when it comes to drug use. Do women who use methamphetamines know that it will harm their babies? YES! They know! They do it anyway. The main effect of this rule is that people like me (mothers of young children and/or large families) can't get Sudafed when they need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home